The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Texas Labor Code protect individuals from being discriminated against by employers because of a disability or perceived disability. The Law Office of Jorge Luis Rivas, Jr. fights for individuals who have been discriminated against by an employer due to a disability. An employer should not ask you about a disability; they should focus on the job's physical requirements and if you can meet them. An employer must also make any reasonable accommodations for a disability. If you feel you have been discriminated against because of a disability, contact our office as soon as possible.
Types of Disability Discrimination:
• Hiring- Employers cannot discriminate or refuse to hire an individual because of a disability or perceived disability.
• Promotion- A company cannot discriminate or refuse to promote an individual because of a disability or perceived disability.
• Firing- An employer cannot fire someone merely because of a disability or perceived disability. The employer should focus on job performance.
• Harassment- If a disabled individual experiences inappropriate or offensive behavior, ridicule, or mockery in the workplace, the harrassment must be reported to a supervisor immediately. Your employer should attempt to remedy the situation as soon as possible.
Fighting Disability Discrimination In The Workplace: If an applicant who is disabled can meet the skills, education, and experience and other job-related requirements with or without accommodations, within reason, and can perform the job tasks, they may be a qualified employee. To prove disability discrimination in the workplace, it must be shown that:
• The individual has an impairment that notably restricts day to day life activity and there is supporting evidence of such impairment.
• The employer refused to provide reasonable accommodations to perform job functions or otherwise discriminated because of a disability.
If you feel you have been discirminated against because of a disability, please contact a qualified attorney and call our office today.
The Law Office of Jorge Rivas, Jr. provides services in El Paso, Anthony, Canutillo, Clint, Fabens, Fort Bliss,San Elizario, Tornillo